Cards blast Atkins 52-0, set up title game

Jeff Linville Staff Reporter

November 3, 2013

PILOT MOUNTAIN — East Surry remains perfect in the Northwest Conference after blasting Atkins 52-0 Friday night.

The Cardinals led the Camels 32-0 at halftime and 46-0 after three quarters. It was nearly 52-0 in the third quarter, but an illegal block took a long punt return off the board for John Snow.

Instead, Snow handed off to Casey Marion for a 3-yard TD run on the first play of the fourth quarter.

The big win meant that East is still tied with Mount Airy for first place in the Northwest Conference.

The Cards host the Bears Friday night for the conference championship and the league’s top seed for the state playoffs.

The reserves saw plenty of playing time after the Cards’ big first half.

With about eight minutes left in the first, Lucas Koons broke off a 33-yard run. With the point-after try blocked, the Cards led 6-0.

Atkins couldn’t move the ball and had to punt. Gage Edwards blocked the punt, and the ball bounded back into the end zone and turned into a safety. That made it 8-0, with the ball going back to the Cards.

East moved the ball down the field again with Koons scoring from four yards out. The extra point from Andrew Kozlow made it 15-0.

Atkins’ offense continued to sputter and finished with only 17 yards all night.

When the ball went back to East, Koons got his third TD from seven yards out. A kick from Ethan Atkins made it 22-0.

Ten different players ran the ball in the game, and four different receivers caught a pass from John Dickenson, noted Coach David Diamont.

The Cards added a 25-yard field goal from Kozlow to go up 25-0.

Koons then scored from four yards out. With an Atkins kick, the team led 32-0 at the break.

Lucas only had nine carries in the game, but he picked up 57 yards and four touchdowns, said Diamont.

Dickenson passed more than usual, spreading the Camels out by going 11-16 for 156 yards.

Blake Marion led the way with five catches, Gage Edwards three, Dylan Slate two and Jack Edwards one.

Two of those passes to Gage Edwards came in the first drive of the third quarter.

Then Dickenson made a long run down to the 1-yard line. He then used a sneak to score for a 39-0 lead with 9:30 left in the quarter.

After the Camels went three-and-out, Madison Chilton picked up a key first down on third down to the 35-yard line.

Gage Edwards picked up 20 yards on the ground to the 15. John Snow, in for Dickenson, kept the ball and scored from there. That increased the lead to 46-0 with 2:42 left.

After another three-and-out from Atkins, Snow had the punt return called back. Casey Marion’s score finished the scoring on the first play of the fourth quarter.

Diamont had his team just burn clock for the rest of the game.

Diamont said he was proud of his team, and the coaching staff was downright giddy.

He is looking forward to a great game next week with Mount Airy.

Expecting a big crowd, both high schools will be selling advance tickets through their main offices Monday to Thursday from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.