East Surry ruins Forbush’s homecoming with 21-14 win

Jeff Linville Staff Reporter

October 5, 2013

EAST BEND — East Surry put a hold on Forbush’s homecoming celebration with a come-from-behind win Friday night.

The Falcons, 3-2 coming into the game, held a 14-6 lead at the half when the homecoming court came out on the field.

However, the Cardinals (5-1) took control of the second half and disappointed the home fans as they wrapped up their nonconference schedule.

Quarterback John Dickenson got the team off to a good start. He scored a touchdown of more than 50 yards to give the Cards a 6-0 lead after the extra point missed.

However, a volley of yellow flags flying in the air allowed the Falcons to respond.

After a pass play moved Forbush into East territory, the defense stiffened and forced a second-and-16.

However, two defensive holding calls and a late hit out of bounds on the quarterback took the Falcons inside the 5-yard line as the first quarter ended.

Quarterback Carson Fulp took a snap in the shotgun, faked a run and threw a short pass over the middle to his tight end. With the extra point, the Falcons led 7-6 with 11:56 in the half.

Chase Brewster ran the kickoff back to the 35-yard line, but a block in the back pinned East inside its own 5.

When the drive stalled at the 14-yard line, Madison Chilton boomed a punt 49 yards to the Falcons’ 33-yard line.

Keanu Love almost sacked Fulp, but a dump-off pass to the running back moved the ball to midfield.

Forbush had third-and-10 at midfield, but then completed a pass to Tyler Johnson for a first down at the 32-yard line.

Then Fulp heaved a deep ball to the left corner.

Receiver Brady Willard appeared to push off against his defender, but no flag was thrown. Willard outjumped the defense and brought in a 32-yard touchdown pass that made it 14-6.

In the third quarter, the Cards’ pass protection broke down with three straight sacks moving the offense backward to the 15-yard line.

Chilton nailed a long punt and got a friendly bounce to give his team 57 yards of field position change to the Falcons’ 28-yard line.

After the three sacks seemed to enliven the home team, that long punt helped pick up the Cards.

They forced a three-and-out, and Fulp shanked the punt left, only getting to the 40-yard line.

Lucas Koons nearly broke a long run, but was tackled by the ankles at the 30-yard line.

On the next play, Koons did break loose, going off-tackle to the right and into the end zone.

East Surry went for a two-point conversion. Dickenson used a play-action pass to find a receiver on the right side. That tied the score with 6:16 left in the third.

The next Falcon drive ended with an interception by Austin Shabdue.

The Cards were unable to reach the end zone and turned the ball over on downs.

However, the Falcons still couldn’t find their way against the East Surry defense after the halftime adjustments.

The Cards got the ball back, and Dickenson would score his second touchdown from more than 40 yards to take the lead 21-14 on the last play of the third quarter.

The Cards then protected the lead in the final period.