By: By Tom Joyce
September 7, 2013
• Granite Tactical Vehicles Inc. on Newsome Street was the victim of fraud this week, according to Mount Airy Police Department reports. The crime that involves the obtaining of property by false pretense was reported Wednesday, stemming from an unknown individual identifying himself or herself as an employee of Granite Tactical the day before and purchasing items using a business account. The amount of fraud charged to the company was nearly $1,500, for a “miscellaneous vehicle,” according to police records that listed no further details. The incident remains under investigation.
• A larceny occurred Wednesday at Zip Food Store on North Andy Griffith Parkway, involving a carton of Newport Light cigarettes valued at $40 which an unknown suspect concealed and then left without paying.
• Jalisa Chanel Joyce, 25, of 871 Carroll St., is facing 10 felony charges stemming from the alleged theft of checks from her mother, which were forged and cashed for undisclosed sums. Joyce is accused of five counts each of forgery of an instrument and uttering, along with one count of larceny. The crimes were discovered and the charges issued last week. Police also noted an outstanding order for arrest for Joyce filed on May 27, relating to the failure to pay fines in a previous case. She was confined in the Surry County Jail and is to appear in District Court on Sept. 18. Along with Joyce’s mother, Sandra Simmons Joyce, Wells Fargo Bank is listed as a victim.
• Damage to city property put at $240 was discovered last Saturday to rain gutters of a shelter at Riverside Park.
• Emily Ann Prieto, 29, of 244 White Pine Trail, Elkin, was cited for larceny last Saturday at Walmart after allegedly taking property valued at $84. Prieto is facing an additional violation of second-degree trespassing for being at the store after she previously was banned. Police also discovered two outstanding warrants for her on traffic violations, no insurance and displaying a revoked license plate, which were filed in June 2012. Prieto was held in the Surry County Jail under a $300 cash bond and is to be in District Court on Oct. 28.
• Brandon Wayne Hamm, 32, of 218 Galloway St., was arrested last Saturday on charges of habitual driving while impaired, driving while license revoked and speeding. Hamm, who has three previous convictions for DWI, was confined in the Surry County Jail under a $10,000 secured bond, pending a court appearance next Wednesday.
• A scooter owned by Billy Ray Childress of Parker Road was discovered missing from Circle K on North Main Street on Aug. 30. The Qingqi Happy 50 model, valued at $500, was taken from outside the business and pushed away, but later recovered. The crime was still under investigation at last report.
• Dollar Tree on Rockford Street was the scene of an attempted breaking and entering reported on Aug. 30. It involved someone prying open a metal door, which received $500 in damage.
• A theft was discovered on Aug. 29 at Walmart, involving a Garmin Nuvi 50LM GPS unit and a Garmin 2555 LMT Nuvi, valued altogether at $280. An unknown suspect took the units after cutting open the boxes containing them.