By: By Wendy Wood
August 2, 2013
Submissions to the community calendar should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 p.m. on Tuesday before the event should appear in the newspaper. Be sure to include the full name and address of the event; the time, day and date of the event; and a contact phone number in case our staff has any questions.
Benefits and Fundraisers
• First Baptist Church of Hillsville, Va., will have a yard sale Saturday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the fellowship hall. An assortment of food items will be sold for lunch. The sale will benefit the youth program activities.
• Northside Baptist Church, 886 Fowler Road, Mount Airy, will host a pinto bean supper with hot dogs available, raffle and silent auction Aug. 10 from 4 to 8 p.m. in the fellowship hall. Cost for pinto plates is $7, which includes pintos, cornbread, potato salad, slaw, onions, drink and dessert. Cost for a two hot-dog plate with chip, dessert and drink is $6, and one hot-dog plate is $5. Raffle tickets are $1 each or six for $5. Two bigger raffles are being sold now at Salon 222 and State Electric Supply Co. for $2 each, with one raffle being for a chance for a one-hour facial, one-hour massage or pedicure from Salon 222, or a spray tan from Green Front Salon; and the other for a Rugar .22 50th anniversary edition, a Klein 16 pocket tool organizer, or a Stihl combo pack with Stihl trimmer string, Stihl smoked lens safety glasses and a Cub Cadet hat. All proceeds will benefit 7-year-old Jackson Sawyer and expenses associated with travels to multiple doctor and therapy appointments each week and frequent hospitalizations. For more information, call 401-3864.
• Bannertown Baptist Church, 1834 Westfield Road, will have a blood drive in the fellowship hall Aug. 11 from 12:30 to 5 p.m.
• Grace Moravian Church, 1401 N. Main St., Mount Airy, will host a port-a-pit luncheon sponsored by the Outreach Committee Aug. 16 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Meals include Port-A-Pit BBQ Chicken of Statesville with half a chicken, baked beans, BBQ slaw, roll, dessert and drinks available for $8 a plate. A limited number of tickets are available, and it is takeout only with curbside pickup in the church parking lot on Wrenn Avenue. Tickets much be purchased before Aug. 1. Plates not picked up by 4 p.m. will be donated to local nonprofits. Proceeds from the luncheon will benefit local community projects. For tickets, call 755-3558 or 401-1653.
• Marantha Ministries is partnering with Miracle Waters Family Worship Center and other area ministries to host a gathering community event Aug. 24 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Veterans Park, Mount Airy. The ministries will be serving food, and providing school supplies and clothing. There will be free hair cuts for children, and fun and fellowship. Ministries participating are New Century, New Covenant, L.I.P.S., Mohawk Inc., and Fountain of Life.
• Grace Moravian Church, North Main Street, Mount Airy, will take orders for Moravian chicken pies Sept. 15-25 with pick-up on Sept. 28 from 9 to 11 a.m. The cost is one or two pies for $11 each and three or more pies for $10 each. For more information, call the church at 786-5627.
• Bunke Family Ministries will host the 10th anniversary Memorial Rally Saturday at Temple Baptist Church, Mount Airy, for a tribute to emergency workers, first responders and law enforcement. Meal for public service workers will be at 4:30 p.m., and the service is at 6 p.m. The service will feature Dr. Kenny Baldwin, pastor of Crossroads Baptist Church, as speaker and Dr. Michael Baldwin, assistant pastor and minister of music, providing music.
• Shelton Church of the Brethren, 1065 Quaker Road, Mount Airy will be showing the movie “The Grace Card” on the front lawn Saturday at 8:30 p.m. We will have snacks, popcorn, drinks and will be giving away some prizes through the evening. The event is free to the public. Bring a blanket or lawn chair. For more information, call 786-1758.
• G.A.P. Church and Caring Hands Outreach Ministry will host the sixth annual conference Saturday at Shelton Hampton Inn in Dobson from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. A music concert will follow at 5 p.m. Registration is $25 per family. The theme for the conference is John 15:13, Greater love hat no man that this that he lay down his life for his friends. The sponsors have a goal to raise $1,500 in scholarship. All financial gifts can be made to Kathy H. Dobson, P.O. Box 535, Dobson, NC 27017. For more information, call Evangelist Kathy Dobson at 648-1951 or Karen Jolly at 325-0577.
• Hill’s Grove Baptist Church, 1318 Pilot Power Dam Road, Pilot Mountain, will have vacation Bible school Monday through next Friday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. There will be Bible study, crafts, food and fellowship. For more information, call 320-2671.
• First Presbyterian Church of Mount Airy, South Main Street, will have Sandwich Saturdays the first Saturday of each month from 11:30 a.m. to noon. Bag lunches will include a sandwich, chips, apple and bottled water.
• Mount Airy Wesleyan Church has a new prayer meeting open to the community on Thursdays at 10 a.m. and 7 p.m. The primary purpose is to pray for the nation, state, county, churches and pastors.
• Antioch Baptist Church, 137 Antioch Ave., Mount Airy, is hosting free English classes on Wednesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Childcare is provided during the class. For more information, call 789-2057 weekdays from 9 a.m. to noon or email email@example.com. The church also is holding free bingo the third Thursday of each month from 10 a.m. to noon.
• The Lions Den Christian Coffeehouse, 162A W. Pine St., is a donations-only coffeehouse open Tuesday through Friday from 4 to 8 or 9 p.m. The location offers wifi connection, and contemporary Christian bands on Fridays when available. Also it is the home of Safehouse Ministries meetings Wednesdays at 6:30 p.m. and Sundays at 10 a.m. For more information, call the Rev. Gary Gossett at 710-7075.
• DivorceCare, an outreach of Freedom and Liberty Worship Center, meets Tuesdays at 6:30 p.m. at the Armfield Civic Center, Pilot Mountain. Call 648-3680 for more information.
• New MOMS (Mothers of Many Seasons) Ministry, open to area ladies and their children, meets the first and third Thursdays monthly from 9 to 11 a.m. at Salem Baptist Church, 430 Rockford Road, Dobson. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 374-4419.
• Compassion Circle Outreach Ministry, a circle of friends offering love, hope, faithful-spiritual guidance from a Christian outlook, has meetings the third Thursday of each month at 6 p.m. at the L.H. Jones Family Resource Center, 214 Jones School Road, Mount Airy. For more information, call 786-1455. This group is sponsored by Caring Citizens of the Community.
• The Peoples Church of Holly Springs will have a free community meal the first Monday of each month in the basement of the church from 5 to 7 p.m. Donations are welcome. For more information, call 789-1555.
• King’s Kids will have fun, learning scripture and crafts every Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Fellowship Baptist Church. There will be classes for all ages, children through adults. For more information, call the church at 374-3250.
• Reformers Unanimous Addiction Recovery program will begin weekly sessions at Temple Baptist Church, 3615 Rockford St., Mount Airy. Anyone with an addiction, stubborn habit or hangup is encouraged to attend. Childcare is provided and refreshments will be served. Meetings will be held every Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and there is no charge. For more information, call John Pulliam at 336-926-2293.
• The First Baptist Church Feeding Friends Soup Kitchen provides a free hot meal to families and friends in need every Thursday from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The church is between Elm and Galloway streets at 714 N. Main St. Parking is available behind First Baptist off Arch Street. The feeding friends dinner is served in the fellowship hall in the building closest to downtown, with signs available to guide visitors.
• A free “soup kitchen” is available on the last Thursday of each month in the Piney Grove Baptist Church fellowship hall from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Everyone is welcome to come as they are with no strings attached. The church is at 278 Piney Grove Road, which can be reached at 356-4196.
• Tuesdays and Thursdays at 3:15 p.m. radio station 880 am will have radio ministry with Pastor Danny Poindexter from the Lighthouse Baptist Church.
• The Fountain Food Ministry hours have changed. Families in need of clothing or food may come every Thursday from 1 to 3 p.m. The ministry will be open weekly on Thursdays to assist those in need of food. In case of an emergency at any other times, call the church office at 789-0400 for an appointment.